Re 45 GPW answer

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 09:32:53 PDT

>Duane wrote,
>my 45 GPW (DOD 6/8'45) appears to have an original windshield frame, I was
>wonderin, how can I tell if it had vaccum wipers, it has a 3/4 inch hole in
>the cowl by the windshield pivot......

        This hole should be 7/8" and is a feature of the very late body
(part No. GPW-1100003-C) This body was used with the late hood which had
the windshield blocks moved to clear the wipers. These bodies went forward
(shipped to the branch plants) the week of March, 19, 1945 to be used as
the stock of previous bodies was exhausted.

>but only the drivers side has the two small
>holes for the vaccum wiper motor to mount to. The pass side has only one
>large hole for the shaft for the arm. assuming that it is the correct frame,
>did all gpw's have vaccum wipers after a certain month?( i know that All
>really isnt a rule) .

     The correct windshield (part No. GPW-1103010-C) has provisions for
TWO wiper motors (part No. GPA-17508). This was a dual wiper motor setup
and not a tandem one (one motor with linkage to the other wiper).
       Stock of the windshields and new parts required for the dual
automatic wipers went forward approximately the week of April 30, 1945.

        The motor of your GPW (if original) should have a reducing bushing
in the rear primer hole in the manifold. In this bushing should be an
adaptor ( part No. 9N-18679) that the hose from the wipers attaches to.

>Also I found the original reg. numbers on the hood in blue drab, I am sure
>that it didnt go overseas if it was built that late, but for the ones that
>went overseas, were they all repainted to white when they got over there? or
>did some stay blue. just trying to get an idea what color to paint them.( I
>am pretty far away from that)

          Usually the numbers were left as delivered until the jeep was
repainted. If you will post the registration numbers for your GPW I should
be able to tell you which Ford branch plant built it.

>Also is Hail to the jeep a good book,

       It was the first "jeep" book and while it has many good photos the
text is filled with inaccuracies. It is in affect a promo for W.O. Enjoy
the photos but question the data.

>I am wonderin what to get next. I have
>AAW 1 and 2 and the resto and judging guide. any suggestion would be
>appreicated.

       Dennis Spence (Portrayal Press) has many jeep books in his catalog
or check his web site at WWW.portrayal.com

            Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
                Great Lakes Chapter MVPA
                Ohio Motor Pool Chapter MVPA