Re: [MV] M35A2 Master Cyl

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 00:39:56 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: MVTrucker@aol.com <MVTrucker@aol.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 01 April 2000 13:31
Subject: Re: [MV] M35A2 Master Cyl

>List,
>I received quite a few responses to my posting concerning a very hard to
>reach bolt on the master cylinder of one of my M35A2 trucks.

I think the front, lower, outer, bevel box pinion drive flange Allen cap screws
in any FV620/2/3/4 probably takes the most awkward award.

Being tight on the inner hull side/floor corners these need the total strip of
the contracting band hand-brake arrangement and a suitably long-armed and
flexible mechanic to reach below the cab floor down and back some 5 ft just to
guide the essential 7 ft long 1/2" drive multiple connected socket extensions
terminating in an essential wobble end and specially made extra length 5/16"
Allen key drive that is being hopefully guided forward from the wrench turner
situated a firewall away crouched over the transfer case trying to guide 7 ft of
wobbly extensions but only holding the last section. Good luck means some part
of the "tool" only pops apart twice and rolls under the fuel tank in the 1" gap
necessitating an hour or two with various extending magnets on a stick and bits
of bent wire.

Officially its easy as the hull would have been previously stripped of (imperial
measure) 15 gal radiator, "light" alloy fan cowl, 2 tons of
engine-gearbox-transfer box-steering pump-air compressor-hydraulic pump
assembly, 5 gal oil tank, 1 ton of hydraulic crane and associated 1" bore HP
pipes and the 100 gal fuel tank.

Richard
(Southampton - England)