Re: [MV] Enigma - Legitimate Enigma parts in Canada too; CMPs

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 22:45:23 PDT

The Canadian Forces Communications museum (I cannot recall their correct
title) in Kingston, Ontario has at least one of the code wheels for an
Enigma. I am not sure how much they have. I saw it there about 25 years ago.

MV content? They have a great collection of radios including I am sure many
types used on MVs. I have heard that they have a Command High Power CMP 3
ton lorry restored and on display there. I found another of these Command
HP, with a British built rear body, with all of the office portion (front
1/3) intact. It had the desks, drawers, jump seat, chairs, lamps and even
the blackout light system that activated when the side door was opened. The
rear room (2/3) was empty however. The body was sitting on the ground, and
15 or so years later, a fellow collector visited with my old photos in hand,
and said it was untouched - just a little more decayed. The owner had bought
4 CMP Cab 13 3 tonners and 2 Cornell aircraft. He still had them when I
found him. The a/c rotted and are now in a museum collection I believe. He
was still using 3 of the 4 CMPs on his farm when I visited in the 1970s -
the 4th was a parts vehicle and some parts went onto a C15A truck that I
had. He is located near North Battleford, Saskatchewan (NW of Saskatoon).
The trucks have never been bought by collectors as far as I know. I have his
name and town if anyone wants to follow up.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB