Serial numbers on M38A1

From: William Gavin (gavin@mcn.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 08:20:22 PDT

Most learned list,

I have a M38A1 that has been in the family for 33 years. My father traded a case of whiskey to the man who had originally gotten it from the military. It was original in all aspects except for a coat of light green paint under the OD. Also, all of the data plates were missing (of coarse). I learned to drive on this jeep in the sixties and after years of being a "ranch vehicle", I retrieved it from my parents and have been slowly rehabilitating it. I have now reached the point were I would like to have the original serial number to put on the new data plates. Is there any place on the frame where the serial number can be found? Also, is the engine serial number the same as the vehicle serial number? Thank you for your replies.

Will Gavin, Yellowstone Resource Associates, Inc.
Registered Professional Geologist