Re: [MV] DUKW

From: Daniel Terp (dterp@tallcity.com)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 06:06:35 PDT

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 23:51:25 EDT, you wrote:
Actually, they left the bilge pump discharge tube disconnected.
Nothing like a 1" hole in the hull to sink a small craft.

The vehicle was being used for one of those "duck tour" operations,
and had been run on a daily basis for years. It was also fully loaded,
and with the surrey top it was difficult for people to get out when it
went down. DUKW's are a lot safer topless. Also, they used the usual
"lifejackets under the seats" approach many tour operators use. Better
if they have the jackets on BEFORE trouble develops.

Properly maintained and used, DUKW's have an excellent safety record.
Too bad they didn't make more of them.

There's a complete copy of the Coast Guard report of the accident on
the web.