1957 Chevy: Truck, Stake & Platform, 2 1/2 Ton, 4 x 2 Seeking info

From: John Doherty (jdoherty@hiwaay.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 17:00:43 PDT

Oh, yee of much knowledge,

I have had the following vehicle in my pasture for six months, and I didn't
even know that it had a data plate on the dash, until today!

The data plate reads:

Truck, Stake & Platform, 2 1/2 Ton, 4 x 2
Supply Service Maintaining Vehicle Army
Make and Model 424V
Manufacturer's Serial Number T1221
Vehicle Weight Unloaded 7620
Payload Maximum 13230
Gross Wt Maximum 21,000
Date of Delivery 9-57
Contract Number DA-20-113-ORD-22607
GMC Truck & Coach Div
General Motors Corp Ordinance
Pontiac Michigan USA Stock Number
US Property FSN2320-542-4164

Any suggestions on where I can get info on this truck? It has olive drab
paint in the door sills and inside areas that haven't been painted over. It
appears for all purposes to be a 1957 Chevy 6100 Series 2 1/2 Ton truck. I
know that the bed is not original, it currently has a shorter dump bed on
it. That's the only reason that I traded for it! To say that I was
suprised at finding the data plate on the dash under the dust is an
understatement in the least!

Did this truck have a military designation, M, G, what not? Is this an
early version of the CUCV program? I've really got my curiosity stirred up
now. I'd like to locate some pictures and info about this thing, if anybody
can give me directions. It would be a lot of work on this one, but it would
definitely be different for around here.

Appreciate your assistance, as always,
John Doherty