Re: [MV] [MV]US Ferret/Fox/Saracen/Saladin owners

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 00:32:39 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: CVRFOX@aol.com <CVRFOX@aol.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 13 April 2000 04:32
Subject: [MV] [MV]US Ferret/Fox/Saracen/Saladin owners

>After lots of inquires, here's an important find:
>
>OMD-13 hydraulic fluid (Fluid Coupling)= Silkolene 779 hyrdraulic oil=
>Silkolene PRO-RSF 2.5 wt. Suspension Fluid, SOLD IN THE US and motorcycle
>shops which handle Silkolene oil products. Try the dirt bike-oriented shops
>first.
>
>This info is from a Silkolene Tech.

Useful conversion from Alan and a handy source of top-up oil. When a full
change or replacement is needed it may be that buying several gallons of fork
oil that is usually marketed in half-pints becomes prohibitive, anyone with a
FV622/3/4 needing 15 imperial gallons in the hydraulic tank might have a worry.

OM 13 (not OMD incidentally) is just a very high spec ISO 15 mineral hydraulic
oil, the ISO grading is in very small steps and thus the actual viscosity
difference from ISO 15 to say 32 is very small indeed. A very crude side by
side observation of actual ex-mil OM 13 and ISO 32 showed it is impossible
without lab test equipment to observe any viscosity difference although it must
be there.

Information received from lube tecs here suggests the British MVs specified to
use this oil was in order to meet the arctic requirement. For temperate
operation the very common ISO 32 stuff used domestically in any truck fitted
with a hydraulic self-loading/handling crane/grab (HIAB or Atlas in Europe) is
eminently suitable, this is likely to be had in 5 gal drums at any truck place
or commercial oil supplier and I expect the tracked excavators are similarly
full with many gallons of ISO 32.

Currently my FV623 is actually using ISO 46 in the hydraulics (steering, crane
and winch) with no noticeable effect and we had to fill a badly leaking Ferret
fluid flywheel last year with the same stuff to get it home some 30 miles and
whilst kept full this behaved in an entirely normal manner.

It is advisable to keep to OM 13/ISO 15 where specified in brake, clutch, choke
and accelerator hydraulic applications to retain precise operation and the
volumes here are small enough that expensive small quantities are no great
hardship.

Other manufacturers offered equivalents are Shell Tellus R10, Shell Clavus 15,
Fina Cirkan 15 or their current equivalents. Speaking to the labs of the makers
we often find the difference between the mil stuff and the commercial product is
only individual batch sampling and fully documented def-stan release. The
domestic glug in the can is the same but without a pile of hugely expensive
paperwork !

Richard
(Southampton - England)