Re: [MV] British Mil-Veh Maintenance Logbooks

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 15:09:59 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Wallace <iwallace@uswest.net>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 13 April 2000 04:15
Subject: [MV] British Mil-Veh Maintenance Logbooks

>I understand that the British armoured vehicles (and probably most other
>military vehicles as well) had a logbook that gave the recommended service
>intervals and service points. I am interested in obtaining one of these,
>original or reprint, for the Ferret Mk 2/3. Has anyone seen or possessed
>one of these? Know if any are available? There must be some around
>somewhere!

They certainly do have log books and I have had one made up for the 623, these
books record all the vehicle information from delivery and acceptance into
service and include the drivers servicing and workshop records. These never
seem to be released with the vehicle when its sold out of service.

Reference is usually made to associated publications for servicing and might
only be bound in with the actual log-book for driver convenience. There appears
to be an instruction for every vehicle type as an A5 (148mm x 210mm) document,
the FV620 - 624 document 60281/1 is typical of the format giving vehicle
dimensions, capacities and basic adjustment information followed by tables of
numbered servicing routines at set mileages.

Included in the Servicing Instructions are Special Servicing Instructions
dealing with non-standard requirements like brake compressor anti-freeze, bevel
box and hub filling/checking, tyre matching, marine drive lubrication and
preparation for REME steering alignment checks.

A similar document is doubtless around for the Ferret and likely to be found on
a table of publications for sale at any MV show here, perhaps some of the major
dealers have re-prints off the shelf of these.

Richard
(Southampton - England)