Re: [MV] Oil Aging...

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 15:36:42 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: CVRFOX@aol.com <CVRFOX@aol.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 13 April 2000 02:16
Subject: [MV] Oil Aging...

>The current issue of MV Magazine has a good article about engine oils, but...
>As we all know, changing oil after so many miles is perhaps the single most
>important preventative you can do.

As an indication, the 623 specific mil spec I have here calls for gearbox,
transfer box, bevel box and hub oil changes at two year intervals although I
note most current cars now have no actual gearbox drain where a hypoid oil is
used and only ever call for topping-up.

In the case of engine oil something like 3000 miles or yearly seems to be the
norm likely because of combustion product contamination. MV engines are
generally worked a fair bit harder than a domestic engine, as an indication the
RR spec for B Range engines calls for an oil change at 3 month intervals in fire
appliances, 3 months or 125 hrs in static power units, 3000 miles in wheeled
vehicles under 7 tons and 2000 miles in vehicles over 7 tons and tracked
vehicles.

The J60 in a FV721 is possibly specified for both OMD110/SAE 30 and later OMD
80/10W-40, certainly the private mileage per year is likely well under the
change mileage so once a year seems to be sensible, although the generous
quantities these things hold makes a change somewhat expensive, it is a whole
lot cheaper than worn metal and the hassle of doing replacements, scarce J60
parts especially.

The idea of doing an engine oil change at the seasons end before winter so that
it doesn't sit with contaminated oil in it has a lot to commend it. Personally
I leave the filter to at least every other year as the mileage is so low and
particulate contamination very small.

Richard
(Southampton - England)