Re: [MV] Oil changes

From: Sean Bathrick (Bathrick@imcchemicals.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 08:57:43 PDT

Kind of along the same topic. I did an oil change in my M38A1 last year and decided to use 5W-50 oil instead of the NAPA 30 non-detergent. More as an experiment to see how the oil pressure would react as well as the overall performance. What I found was at idle I had a lot of oil pressure. Almost to where it concerned me a little. This was cold and as it warmed up. When I drove it and was bringing it up to regular driving speed, the pressure became erratic. And at 45, steady speed, the pressure abruptly fell to no reading on the gauge. I stopped along the side of the road, checked everything out, (oil level, electrical connections, signs of leaks), started it up and had the high pressure readings again. Obviously I took the oil out and put in the 30 weight and have had no further anomalies in the pressure readings. Never will I run multi-viscosity oil in my jeep or truck again. Just my 2 cents.
Sean
MVPA 14222
53 M38A1
51 M135