Re: [MV] Oil changes

From: T. Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 10:52:14 PDT

>And at 45, steady speed, the pressure abruptly fell to no reading on the
gauge. I stopped >along the side of the road, checked everything out, (oil
level, electrical connections, signs of >leaks), started it up and had the
high pressure readings again.
>Sean

I can't see where the 5-50 oil would have caused that problem.
Any chance that the oil sender went intermittant on you? Have had that
happen to me.

Don't think I would keep the 5-50 in at below 30F weather on a regular basis.

On my stock M715, I run 10W40 winter and 20W-50 in the summer. My high mileage
motor seems to like that best. My best guess, after a "good" rebuild, 10W40
year round
would be best for my use.

My M38, after a "good" rebuild, very good oil pump, correct timing gear oil
nozzle
gave me excellant pressure with 5W30 oil year round. I was both surprised
and pleased.
Learned alot with that rebuild.

I've got a question for my fellow listers.....(what is the feminine for
"fellow", feline?)
For deisel applications, SHELL ROTELLA 15W40 is very popular.
Assuming good starter, engine and batteries, in very cold weather, isn't
that a bit thick?

My regular experience is with my loader. After a -20F night, you can feel
it, she turns
a little hard. Starts very well, but I wondered about the 15W40 oil for my
winter climate.
Many around here use the 15W40 year round.

What do you all use in your machines in the winter?

Thanks All.
Ted H. (future M35 owner).