Re: [MV] Bridge Plate Help.

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 15:52:32 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffery S. Neer <JNEER@ix.netcom.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 14 April 2000 22:10
Subject: [MV] Bridge Plate Help.

>I am installing a bridge plate on the right front of the grill. It
>probably isn't an authentic piece for an M-35 made in 1973. I just like
>it.
>
>I'm looking for help with information on what numbers would be
>appropriate.
>I know they are based on vehicle weight so that crossing guards could
>keep vehicles from crossing a bridge that wouldn't handle the weight. My
>deuce weighs approx. 13,500 lbs. and suggestions from the list?

It would likely be a 10 or 12.

John Edwards kindly sent the list the formula for this way back in Nov. 98 and
for once I have filed something useful where I can find it. . . . . . . . . . !

As this is in the mil-veh archives I'm sure he wont mind if I paste it in here,
so with credit to John it is:

1) for single vehicles
    - yellow circular sign with black numerals
    - sign is painted or attached to front or side of vehicle below drivers line
of vision
    - signs on front of vehicle are 9" in diam, side mounted plates are 6" in
diam

2) for combo vehicles (semi-trailer)
    - any tow or trailer that operate as one complete unit or rig
    - the front plate must have a RED "C" above the bridge class number
    - side mounted plates on a combo show separate bridge class numbers on 6"
sign

To assist all concerned there is an expedient formula to use.

W = (A*P*N)/2000 where

W = gross weight of vehicle
A = average tire contact area in square inches (tires on hard surface)
P = tire pressure in PSI
N = number of tires

then round the number up to nearest whole number.

Richard
(Southampton - England)