Re: [MV] radios for M35A2s

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 00:15:22 PDT

richard burrell <miltrkr@concentric.net> wrote:
> i am completely ignorant when it comes to military radios, but i am
> thinking of installing a radio in my deuce its a 1971. so my question is
> what radio equipment is correct for my truck for current mil use?

Current, huh? You could outfit your truck with current-issue SINCGARS
radios... and you would probably spend much more on the radios than
you did on the truck! Or, you could outfit your truck with older
VRC-12 series radios, which would be correct for most ground vehicles
from the mid 1960s up through at least the 1980s, and only burn a
grand or so. I recommend the latter!

The VRC-12 series of radio sets consists of about a dozen different
radio sets based on different combinations of the same basic
transceivers and/or receivers. I've installed an AN/VRC-47 in my
HMMWV. It is a member of the VRC-12 family, and consists of an RT-524
transceiver and an R-442 receiver. The AN/VRC-12 set, after which that
whole family of radio sets is named, is the same except that an RT-246
transceiver is substituted for the RT-524. The RT-246 is similar to
the RT-524, but omits the internal speaker and adds ten preset channel
buttons. Ironically, the RT-246, and thus the AN/VRC-12 set itself, is
one of the least common members of the family!

Here's the good news: My web page (see below) contains scanned
installation instructions for putting an AN/VRC-12 into a 2.5-ton
truck. Installation of other sets from the VRC-12 series would be very
similar.

I hope that helps!

P.S.: Note that you cannot legally transmit with any of these radios
without an appropriate federal license... but an amateur radio ("ham
radio") license isn't too hard to get, and the VRC-12 series is
capable of transmitting within the 6-meter ham radio band. The
"KE6MYK" in my signature below is my amateur radio call sign.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/