Oil Analysis

From: Brandon (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 20:35:11 PDT

Oil analysis is quite common in the aircraft industry. It has been a while
since I've done it, but it used to cost about $10. You mail it in to the
lab, and they mail back a sheet indicating the contaminants (quantity and
type).

You need to establish a baseline over a period of time, then if your
periodic analysis shows a significant change (more metal in the oil), it
means your engine has begun to fail. The baseline should be your own
vehicle, but another known vehicle could be used for comparison if you just
got your truck.

You can also do oil analysis on gear boxes (trans/transfer/differentials in
MV terms), which is common in the helicopter industry.

Oil analysis is most useful for vehicles that are consistently operated to
gauge when repairs are required, especially in commercial operations where
time is money (or aircraft), where the risk of failure can be very
inconvenient (or dangerous.....). I don't think that I drive any of my
vehicles frequently enough (or far enough from home) to warrant oil
analysis.

BK