more oil talk...

From: Eric A Weidner (ericweidner@juno.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 06:12:29 PDT

Fellow Listers,
I've been closely following the recent oil discussion and am constantly
reminded of my thorough ignorance. I am one of those who always figured
that as long as you kept the oil in the operating range and changed it
occasionally everything was okay. Well, what I need to know is this: I
bought my 1/2 ton Dodge last July, the engne runs like a top but is from
a late '40's pick-up (I'm told). How do I know what kind of oil has been
run in this engine(weight, detergent or non, etc.). I would like to
change the oil in it and want to keep whatever will be best for engine
life. I am not currently in a position to drive the vehicle for 30 min.
as has been suggested to get ALL lubricants up to operating temp.s. I
can let it idle at high rpm for a while or drive circles in my yard. I
also don't want to drop the oil pan to check for sludge as I am from the
school of thought that says "if it aint broke...don't fix it". What oil
is reccomended? What interval should it be changed? I don't believe I
will put even a thousand miles on it in a year. What about oil filter
change...I've looked at mine and it doesn't look too bad(yeah, like I
would know). This filter reminds me of a sock shaped like a small army
canteen with a perforated metal tube running up the middle...is this a
standard filter? Where would I find the proper replacement? There are
no #'s on it that I can find. If I need to measure dimensions, which ones
are pertinent?
  On another note, I know it might be premature but I'm wondering who all
are planning to attend the convention in Kansas City in Aug.? I plan to
attend with my son and would sure like to meet up with some other folks
who are planning to attend. This will be my first convention and I hate
to go it alone!
Thanks again for all your continued advise and support...(and for keeping
me humble!)
Eric Weidner
MVPA #715
NW Ark.