Re: [MV] Land Rover Lightweight question.

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 22:29:33 PST

>I recall reading an article about faulty Petrol Tank seals on ex-british
>army landrovers. My memory is a bit fuzzy now, but I think they were only a
>problem if the landrover turned over - then the result could be the vehicle
>catching fire. The article recommended the petrol tank seals be replaced
>asap.
>
>Hope this is of some use
>
>Perhaps there's someone else who remembers the exact nature of the problem
>more clearly.
>
>Regards
>
>Tim

True.But this is about as dangerous as the'so called' very rollable jeep or
suzuki.It depends on the operator/owner.
The caps came with and without a gasket.The tank is under the seat but
exposed to the outside.The filler is also under the seat so the seat
cushions have to be lifted to gain access to the gas cap,or should I say
petrol cap?
The caps without the gasket relied on metal to metal contact for sealing.
I suppose a spark could be created by someone who is a nervous wreck when
installing or again I should say "introducing" the cap to the filler neck.
The roll over situation with the gas cap is possible but then I never rolled
one and I would think because of the limited space for the gas to weap out I
would think it would take a long time before a reasonable size puddle develops.
I don't recall of one incident of the caps being a problem on the base in
Suffield,Alberta where there are about 700 LR's located somewhere around
there at one time on a regular basis.I do remember the article as well but I
think it was an isolated incident.
Andre