Re: [MV] more oil talk...

From: fv74@altavista.net
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 10:53:41 PDT

Eric

Unless you have a good idea of how well this vehicle was taken care of, I would reccommend pulling the oil pan for an inspection. I have rebuilt many engines over the last 25 years and it is amazing how much junk will collect in the oil pump intake strainers. My 45 MBs strainer was about 75% blocked, but it still had good oil pressure. I have found 1/2 inch thick sludge, gasket material, screws, valve spring keepers, part of a distributor shaft and even most of a rag in these oil pans. These old engines many times have a load of junk in the pans. It just makes good sense to pull the pan and have a look. I also use magnetic drain plugs in all of my vehicles. Use non-detergent oil if you don't pull the pan.

My two cents worth.

Dave Fillman
45 MB