Re: [MV] Electric Hum-V

From: Jim/Julia (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 19:02:06 PDT

Well, let's not forget the source of the energy for the 'electric Humvee'. If it
was electricity from a coal fired electric plant that was charging a battery (by
the way, this is WAY less than 100% efficient), then it doesn't reduce any
polution at all. It merely changes the local where the pollution is spewed. If the
battery charging process is 50% efficient (remember, waste heat is generated in
the charging process), then it takes twice as much pollution bearing energy to run
the car as it does to use fossil fuels directly, in the vehicle.
    However, the big payoff is in being able to hornswaggle people who don't know
anything about science. Forgot to comment, that this argument is general, not
specific. For instance, if the energy were to be stored in a fuel cell onboard the
vehicle, then that stored chemical energy must have been generated by other energy
sources, most typically fossil fuels (85% odds, actually).
    One bennefit would be stealth, but that is not what was claimed.
Jim