Electric Hum-V

From: Brandon (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 19:15:43 PDT

A friend of mine that works for Toyota brought a prototype hybrid
gasoline/electric car over to my house so we could go for a drive. I was
quite impressed to say the least!

It was smooth and very quiet. The engine would start periodically under high
throttle and occasionally in cruise to charge the batteries. I was amazed at
how tractable it was, actually better than most passenger cars I've ridden
in.

The gas mileage was incredible. The regenerative braking recharged the
batteries a little every time you stopped. This vehicle is still not offered
for sale in the US, but I'm sure it would be quite expensive compared to a
conventional car. It seemed to be reliable enough to let a product planner
drive it unsupervised over the weekend. My understanding is that these
hybrids have accumulated hundreds of thousands of road miles in Japan on a
trial basis, and may already be available for sale overseas.

On a final note, I have a stock M998 HMMWV, and I can say that there
definitely is room for improvement!

Brandon