Re: [MV] References for .50 and .30 cal MG's

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 18:27:12 PDT

SMALL ARMS OF THE WORLD is a great general reference. It explains the
various models (e.g. M2 is WWII aircraft gun, M2HB is same with 'heavy
barrel' for army use, M3 is Korean War vintage for aircraft. ). It also
explains a bit of the history, how to take one apart etc.

There are many active machinegun collectors in the USA and books on the
subject. The manuals you list tell you how to use one (yes they ARE fun to
shoot!), but not about the variations, history, etc. Videos are probably
available on the .50 cal. both copies of old training films and modern fun
shoots. There are also manuals on the various vehicle mounts for these guns.

A friend of mine has some older editions of the above book for sale if you
are interested.

As you are in Texas, you will have local collectors, military museums etc.
at your disposal. I hear the good ol' boys in Texas just LOVE their .50's !

A search on the world wide web should also turn up some interesting sites.

They also go very nicely on many military vehicles.... a local fellow here
as a US M16 half-track ("half-trak" to you) with the operational power
turret with 4 fifty-calibre machineguns unfortunately they had to be
deactivated as we have DUMB guns laws. For example he can buy and mount
deactivated REAL fifty cals without any paperwork and including the full
receiver which is not usually the case in the USA, but it is now illegal for
him/us to make or buy a replica! (Even if made of wood and plastic or
aluminum etc.) !!!

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB