Re: [MV] Re-cap on home air compressors...

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 11:45:02 PDT

If you are going to sand blast anything sizeable, then the biggest air compressor
you can afford is about right! I have a 5 hp two stage that I use for shop air,
but when I sand blast I fire up my 10 hp two stage electric which puts out about
36 CFM of air with a 120 gallon tank. (It's a three phase compressor running off
a phase converter to get three phase out of single phase power) I wish it was
larger! I use a ALC pressure blaster with a 3/16 nozzle. I wouldn't think about
sandblasting with less than a real 5 HP compressor with as big a tank as you can
get. A "real" 5 HP compressor draws about 23 amps at 220 volts. Sears and others
advertise "5HP" compressors that only draw about 16-17 amps at 220 volts. That is
not a real 5 HP compressor. It is physically impossible to get 5 HP from 16 amps
at 220 volts. The manufactures stretch the truth incredibly. I don't know how
they can do that , but basically they are lying.

Shop around. I'd check out Grainger, your local industrial air compressor
suppliers, Northern Equipment, and other suppliers. Also, used industrial air
compressors are pretty common and cheap. Parts are generally readily available
for most popular industrial air compressors.

Another idea is to just simply plan on renting a small gas powered air compressor
when you want to sand blast and just size your compressor for your tools.

Good Luck,

Dave