Re: [MV] Re-cap on home air compressors...

From: SHamil0725@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 12:14:07 PDT

Bill,
My experience from last year with similar needs is that you want a two stage
compressor, about 6 HP with a 80 gallon tank. Where these used to cost over
$1300, recently they are in the $825 to $850 range. You probably won't get a
cast iron compressor for this price. Mine is an aluminum compressor with
steel sleeve. I shopped all the big stores like Home Depot and ended up
buying a Coleman brand for $837 at a mom & pop farm store. After 15 months,
my wife and I think it is the best thing we ever bought. Mostly I've been
getting oriental accessories, but they have been ok. My impact wrench isn't
powerful enough, but I've still got my breakover bars. My compressor keeps up
with my pressure feed 100 pound sand blaster at 90 psi. I think most of the
different brands are identical, maybe even made by the same company. For
professional use, you still want one of the $1300+ ones.
Sam Hamilton
Stillwater, Oklahoma