Re: [MV] CCKW tire size ?

From: SHamil0725@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 06:59:02 PDT

Steve,
By now you've probably gotten some useful answers, and I'm not 100 percent
sure this does apply, but:
My 1941 civilian Chevy U. S. Army firetruck probably has the same wheels as
your CCKW. Maybe we can decide for sure.
My wheels have a single solid outer ring that holds the tire on the wheel.
The ring has two dots about an eighth inch in diameter and about an inch
apart. The drill is you break the bead, and push the tire down all the way
around. Then you knock the ring down about a quarter of an inch. Inside the
ring where the two dots are is a half inch wide cutout for engaging your
prybar. About 6 inches clockwise from that point is a recessed area in the
ring that will slip up over the wheel's lip.
Once you have that recessed area over the lip, work counterclockwise prying
the ring up until you reach another recessed area 180 degrees from the first
one. then the ring comes off and the tire falls off.
To reinstall, reverse those steps.
We broke the bead on three of mine and a car tire store broke two others, but
I haven't found a truck tire store that will touch the last two. They don't
understand how the ring works, so they aren't interested.
My bottom line is that they probably won't be easy to get off intact. My
tires are 7.50 X 20, an obsolete size not too easy to find. The antique car
tire catalogs do list them at about $175. I found good used ones for $35 each.
Sam Hamilton
Stillwater, Oklahoma