Mystery markings on ex-Norwegian MB

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 21:35:43 PDT

KNOWN INFO:
My late WWII Willys MB served in the British military apparently, and later
for sure it served in the Norwegian military. The Norwegian military
registration number was 5583. It served with the HVK in Oslo. The HVK
(Harens Vapentekniske Korps) was their Army Weapons - Technical Corps which
was headquartered in Oslo. The HVK is now called the Harens
Forsyningskommando (Army Supply Command). The Norwegian Government sold this
jeep surplus in early 1985. It went to Atlantic Automotive in England, then
Brian Wood in Canada. I bought it from Brian in 1996.

R 20737814 NUMBER ON BUMPER
On the front bumper, in white was an "R" and following that, slightly
smaller, was also in white " 20737814 ". This looks like a USA number as
normally painted on hoods.
* Can anyone tell me if this was such a USA number for a jeep and if so,
* WHEN would it have been built?
* WHICH CONTRACT it was built under? Is it for a Willys MB or Ford GPW?
Naturally I'd also like to know the serial number (or at least the range of
serial numbers for that contract range of numbers).
* What would the "R" refer to? 'Rebuild' or 'reconditioned' perhaps? It has
the usual mix of Willys, Ford and a few WOF parts as seen on jeeps that
served in Europe after the war.

SERIAL NUMBER:
The serial number was changed at some point to VDN - 1121 probably by the
Norwegians.
* What does the VDN mean?
* Does anyone have access to records to trace it back to the original Willys
serial number? I wrote to the Defence Museum (Forvarsmusseet) in Oslo, but
received no answer.

YELLOW "K" ON WINDSHIELD
2" high. Possibly an airforce marking? Wehicle had been painted a dark air
force blue at one point.

LIGHT BLUE "E" in a broken circle. Painted on the hood, on passenger's side,
just to the right (starboard) of the centre line, near the front edge.
Probably a Norwegian marking. Army Engineers perhaps?

Thank you

Colin Stevens, MVPA member 954 (since 1977) Pitt Meadows, BC, CANADA