Buying '43 GPW, other MV parts for sale.

From: Chris (cdavis@mail.johnsonmfg.net)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 19:56:42 PDT

I've wanted a WWII jeep for years and finally had the planets line up
(Read: $, garage space, right truck, and wife's tolerance for another
project). I just left earnest money with the owner of a 1943 GPW. It is a
"project" jeep, but all the important parts seem to be there and it has
almost no rust. My list will grow, but for right now, I'd like to hear from
anyone who wants to sell any of the following:

Engine. (Yep, no engine, all other drive train intact, but no engine.)
Serial # on frame and data plate is GPW 106272. I know engine numbers
seldom match frame numbers, even right out of the factory. Right now, any
WWII jeep engine, even Willys, would suffice. (Ford is, of course, a plus).

All engine accessories. (Starter, generator, regulator, carburetor, name
your "ator") of course, the more of these that might come as a package with
the above mentioned Engine, the better. I do, however, have the air
filter... and in great shape too :-)

Radiator.

Tail lights.

Seat cushions. (all of them... It has all the seat frames, even the back,
but no cushions)

Rear bumperets.

Top bows and brackets.

Lifting handles.

This is bound to be just the tip of the parts iceberg, but I'm very happy
with the purchase. The body is very straight. It's been owned by the same
family since 1952 and doesn't appear to have been used off road much, if at
all. The fuel tank is intact, doesn't leak, and the tank well is rust free.
Inner and outer windshield frames are good, inner windshield supports and
nobs are there. Etc.

Also, I do subscribe to Military Vehicles Magazine and Supply Line and I'm
aware of the excellent vendors who advertise there. I'm just checking with
other folks who might have jeep knick knacks providing spider habitat in
the garage first.

I started with an M38A1, then had a M151, now an M37 (which will share the
stable with the GPW). But have always wanted a WWII jeep.... how did Bill
Benson put it... "Happy Dance, Happy Dance!"

Anyway... list of stuff I'm ready to sell:

M151 Distributor
M37 Regulator, Distributor, Starter, other misc. 24volt stuff... gages.... etc
M37 battery box. Clean, no rust or corrosion, good seal.
M37 emergency break handle.
Fire extinguisher brackets. Military, but I don't know what vehicle. I've
got 5 or 6 of them... probably M-series.
Dodge 318 V8 motor (M880 owners note, this is actually out of a police car,
not strictly military, but built for heavy duty use. I ran it in my M37 for
a while.)
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but there's more... I've
just got to take an inventory.

Thanks!

Chris Davis
'52 M37