Jeep markings

From: Bob Kelly (rkelly@firstunion-reit.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 14:25:48 PDT

Hello all,

Have a '42 GPW.

I have determined a good range of hood numbers and data plate stampings
(Thanks to Mr. Gilmore) but I am trying to decide correct unit markings to
include on the bumpers, etc.

I want to mark it as follows:

European Theatre Operations, of 2nd Armored division, 82nd Reconnaisance Bn,
circa April 1945, and as a scout/recon vehicle. I have also assembled a few
bits of equipment, rifle rack, leather scabbard, a carbine and a Garand, and
some personal equipment items, but need to know what kind of other stuff
might have been carried in one of these, such as radio types and
designations, other weapons and equipment. For instance, would a scout
vehicle NECESSARILY have a large pedastal mount and a .30 cal. or .50cal.
machine gun?

Yes I know it may be unlikely that a '42 jeep made it through various
campagns all the way to 1945, but hey, its my jeep, plus it was at some
point a depot rebuild candidate so it is theoretically possible that it
spent some time in the States, blew a motor, had it replaced and had some
later features added and then was shipped overseas. It could happen...

Mainly I am interested in the markings as they won't cost me so much...

Thanks all

Bob Kelly
'42 Ford GPW sn 65578