Re: [MV] 5 Ton question

From: Buzz Szarek (buzz@toast.net)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 18:54:25 PDT

Stop right now!

While you still can.....

Pull the wheels off and check the wheel cylinders. If they are leaking it
is likely that they've become pitted. They will cause the rubber seals of
the piston to get eaten away until they fail all of a sudden. You can't
imagine the terror of finding your self with no brakes as you are
approaching an intersection with a red light. It happened to me in my M215.
My wife and 3 kids were in the cab. We were just going for a short trip. I
leaned on the horn and flew through the intersection (trying to force a
downshift out to the 215's auto trans). Eventually I went off the road into
a parking lot that had a gravel run-off. Nobody was hurt and nothing was
damaged. I was VERY lucky.

Don't take chances with something like this. It might be a bad seal and
only be diff oil leaking out but if your master cyl has needed a refil I'd
not take a chance. Don't roll that truck one foot till it's fixed.

Best of luck.

-=-