Re: [MV] m1009 CUCV

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 10:55:00 PDT

Greg,
    I bought a M1009 CUCV at the beginning of November last year. It had 62,000
miles on it. It now has 78,000. Last weekend I drove from Griffin, Georgia to
Williamsburg, Virginia which is a round trip of around 1200 miles. I had no
problems whatsoever...other than the diesel prices in North Carolina, but that's
another story. *Note: if anyone is looking for WW2 uniforms around a size 38 or
so, check out "Grandfather's antiques" at exit 145 on I-85 in North Carolina. In
the back left corner of the antique mall is a hanging rack with probably 20-30
jackets, 10-20 pants, a couple of raincoats, couple of field jackets, and a few
pieces of field gear.
    My usual commute is 120 mile round trip twice a week. Since I bought it, it's
been driven from Griffin to Valdosta Georgia, Dothan Alabama, Johnson City
Tennessee, Savannah Georgia.
    I will say, when I got it, the bearing in the rear diff were going, but that
was due to storage. The seller replaced the rear axle for free. Other than that,
I've replaced the heater coil and starter relay.
    If you get one, get the full set of manuals from Julian Burke (he's on the
list). They're definitely worth the money. Even with my total lack but growing
knowledge they're very informative & easy to follow.

Hope this helps,
Brian Mead
1984 M1009 CUCV
1944 Willys MB