Re: [MV] HMMWV backup light switch

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 19:54:45 PDT

"John Brennan" <brennan1968@home.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a backup light switch (or neutral switch as they
> appear to be the same) for the HMMWV that they would care to sell?
> This is the switch that fits in the shift control housing assembly.
> Thx.

I don't think they're the same. As I recall, the threaded portions
have different diameters. I bought mine from George Pretty at Surplus
Enterprises <http://www.humv.com/>. You'll be amazed at how expensive
that switch is! I recommend that you continue looking for one at a
good price for a while, and then call George if you can't find one
elsewhere. I'd bet that George would recommend the same thing. :-)

George can also supply the backup lights and brackets as used on the
M1035 2-litter soft-top ambulance. Any backup lights on a HMMWV other
than an ambulance would be "wrong", but those ones would be a lot
closer to being "right" than anything else.

When I installed mine, I tapped their power from the horn. That way,
the backup lights turn on and off with the rest of the blackout
system. Rather than cutting any wires, I used the proper connectors
and made my own "Y" fittings. Jeff Smith at Military Vehicle Parts Co.
<http://www.mvpc.com/> should be able to supply the proper connectors,
and either he or Adirondack Dodge Parts should be able to supply a
usable 4-point crimper.

For the "Y" parts, I used special butt connectors made for joining
wires of different sizes. Using a 12/14 gauge connector, I crimped one
14ga wire on the small side, and two 14ga wires on the large side, and
then covered the whole thing with adhesive-lined heat-shrink tubing. I
used 14ga black silicone rubber motor lead (SRML) wire, which appears
to be very similar to the wire used in the HMMWV. All of those
products are available from McMaster-Carr <http://www.mcmaster.com/>.

I'd be happy to supply pictures of my backup light installation, but
unfortunately, my HMMWV got stranded about 200 miles from home with a
blown head gasket this weekend. The good news is that it decided to
fail within about 40 miles of an expert HMMWV rebuilder! I could do
the job myself, but I've replaced the fuel injection pump before
(that's about 3/4 of a head gasket job), and it wasn't fun, so I don't
mind farming this task out even though I usually try to do 100% of the
work on my own trucks.

Good luck!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/