Re: [MV] m151 front suspesion

From: R. C . Orpe (sgtorpe@sierratel.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 08:57:04 PDT

>Chuck asked;<<Has anyone ever put the rear suspension of a M151A2 into an
>M151A1? Is this possible? The question was asked to me and I did not know
>the answer. I suppose it could be easily done.>>

The answer is that anything is possible if you want to spend a bunch of
money and time. If you really want to put the A2 suspension under an A1 it
could be done but if you are looking for reasonably simple bolt up
situation, THIS AIN'T IT!

The A1 suspension arc is off the side of the vehicle ( somewhat like the
older VW swing axles ) and the attachment points are inboard, to the front
and rear of the differential. The A2 suspension points are off the forward
lateral frame member and so the arc is off the rear ( and we use the word
frame pretty loosely ). So from the side, you don't have the arc travel
which gives the A1 the infamous tucking or crabbing tendency.

To do said change over, you would have to fabricate the suspension and shock
mounts, attach them to the lateral frame member ( which isn't all that thick
and sturdy ) ,hope you got the stuff all mounted in the correct positions
and angles. If you didn't get everything correctly placed and solidly built,
you would end up with an even scarier truck than the original A1, which is
why I would scratch up the extra money to just buy the A2 if I were ever to
want one.

But what do I know, I'm supposed to be a signal weenie

Randy