Old Rubber parts

From: Sean Bathrick (Bathrick@imcchemicals.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 09:20:38 PDT

I have a question concerning NOS rubber gaskets and seals, etc., that are 40's to 50's vintage. Is there a way that any of you have determined, that makes these parts pliable and workable without splitting. I was looking at a windshield gasket for my M38A1 and it is NOS in perfect condition, by all appearances. But it was boxed in 54 and is still in that same box, never touched. Someone warned me that when I go to take it out and uncoil it, the rubber tends to split. He went on to say that if I boil it in water for 10 minutes and then uncoil it, I won't have a problem. Is this right? Any other tricks out there?
Thanks
Sean
MVPA 14222
53 M38A1