Re: [MV] Ferret fluid couple fluid?

From: AlvisStalwart6x6@aol.com
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 07:51:21 PDT

Hi Jack et all

Using some of the specs Richard gave me sometime back I went in search of an
oil that cross referenced to something we can find here in the US. The
direct replacement oil was found to be Shell's Tellus T Oil 15, which is an
ISO 15 hydraulic oil. This oil can then be cross-referenced to another brand
of oil found in your area.

For fluid flywheel (torque converter) use as well as where it is called for
in brake systems like those in the Stalwart, I'd stick with the ISO 15 oils.
For hydraulic systems the Shell Oil rep recommended that either an ISO 15 or
32 oil be used. He was the one that brought up the Arctic temperature
reasoning behind the thinner ISO 15 in the first place.

Torque converters and brake systems are very sensitive to oil viscosity. By
going to a higher viscosity oil you will decrease the stall speed of the
converter and will make your Ferret, Saracen, Saladin, and Fox lurch more
when changing and engaging gears as well as making forward to reverse gear
changes at idle a bit more difficult or noisy. Will ISO 32 and 46 oils work?
 Absolutely, but I think you and your Ferret will be a bit happier with the
lower viscosity oil.

The ISO 15 is very highly refined oil with few, if any, impurities found in
many oils. It is most similar to some of the pure synthetic compressor oils
I've been running into lately. The down side is you MAY have to purchase 5
gallons of the stuff . . . this poses no problem when owning a Stalwart
because if it's 15 gallon hydraulic oil tank and a brake reservoir that must
hold at least a gallon.

Bruce