Re: [MV] Ferret fluid couple fluid?

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 15:25:35 PDT

From: <AlvisStalwart6x6@aol.com>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2000 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Ferret fluid couple fluid?

Hi Bruce & Jack,

> For fluid flywheel (torque converter) use as well as where it is called
for
> in brake systems like those in the Stalwart, I'd stick with the ISO 15
oils.
> For hydraulic systems the Shell Oil rep recommended that either an ISO 15
or
> 32 oil be used. He was the one that brought up the Arctic temperature
> reasoning behind the thinner ISO 15 in the first place.
>
> Torque converters and brake systems are very sensitive to oil viscosity.
By
> going to a higher viscosity oil you will decrease the stall speed of the
> converter and will make your Ferret, Saracen, Saladin, and Fox lurch more
> when changing and engaging gears as well as making forward to reverse gear
> changes at idle a bit more difficult or noisy. Will ISO 32 and 46 oils
work?
> Absolutely, but I think you and your Ferret will be a bit happier with
the
> lower viscosity oil.

Quite likely so, I do keep ISO 15 in the Stalwart brakes, clutch,
accelerator and choke systems mainly because the demand is very low, well,
the brakes keep loosing it on one side but no leaks are apparent anywhere, I
wonder if its all in the airpack ?

Because of a very cheap source (free) there is Shell TX 46 in the main
hydraulics, the gentleman who kindly donated it has a Ferret that lost its
converter seal during an end of season rally last year, after letting the
smoke and frying out of the converter I re-donated 25 litres of TX 46 as it
was a Sunday (England tends to be closed on Sundays, especially places
selling OM13), the oil was 8 miles away and the Ferret had 30+miles to make
it home. The owner reported no apparent change to the driving
characteristics.

> The ISO 15 is very highly refined oil with few, if any, impurities found
in
> many oils. It is most similar to some of the pure synthetic compressor
oils
> I've been running into lately. The down side is you MAY have to purchase
5
> gallons of the stuff . . . this poses no problem when owning a Stalwart
> because if it's 15 gallon hydraulic oil tank and a brake reservoir that
must
> hold at least a gallon.

We seem to be able to get ISO 15 from a number of suppliers here via a
commercial fuel/oil supplier and I cannot believe it is not readily
available in the States if you find a decent commercial supplier, indeed 5
galls a go is the norm though.

This leads to the timely warning though that when reading older UK MV specs
do remember our measurements for imperial volume are 20% bigger than the US
measure and working in the published litre equivalents is safer and less
confusing.

Incidentally the names of Shell oil products are actually taken from sea
molluscs, Alexia (myosotis), Rimula (exquisita), Rotella (gigantea), Talona
(clausa), Talpa (Cypraea talpa).

Richard
Southampton - England