Re: [MV] Ferret fluid and Catch 22

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 15:54:38 PDT

From: "jim gilmore" <jgilmore@oeonline.com>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2000 8:11 PM
Subject: [MV] Ferret fluid and Catch 22

> >Fuch's Lubricants, Silkolene 779 is a direct equivalent in price also but
> >commonly available, as used in every excavator, back-hoe, grab-truck
etc.,
> >ISO 32 will be quite alright, Shell Tellus R 10, Shell Clavus 15, Fina
> >Cirkan 15 or their current replacements are all virtual
equivalents........

> Yes,Yes.......these fluids are said to be replacements..........
> ONLY ONE PROBLEM...........
>
> YOU CANNOT BUY THEM IN THE US.............

Wot !!!!! The actual US of A ? Unbelievable. . . . . . . . . . .

> Ed Berkery (Saladin/Abbott owner from PA.) and I have for over a year
> tried, and tried, and tried to obtain these fluids in the US.
> The mineral oil known as OM-13 has a small percentage of Steric Acid
> added to it. This is necessary for anti-foaming or flowability (depending
> on which company reps we are talking to). Ed has spent over $200.00 just
> in phone calls trying to obtain these oils.

Shoulda rang me.

I know about the Steric acid but our reps say its for ultimate corrosion
resistance, all hydraulic oils have anti wear and anti foaming agents as
part of the expected task like thrashing around in a huge gear pump and
whizzing rams in and out, and squeezing through really tiny holes as
hydraulic oil does.

> Well, it worked........sort of. Yes, if we would just leave them
> alone they would agree to sell some. Just one problem.......we have to
> order a minimum of four drums that are equivalent to a 55 gallon US drum.
> Cost at about $1,000.00 per drum........plus shipping to the US. So
> that's were it sits right now. All we have to do is get about $5,000.00
> together and we can get the thirty gallons or so that we really
> need......with a lifetime supply left over.

Bloody ridiculous.

Have Ed call me, the stuff is about 40 GBP for 25 litres (c.6 gals US), I'll
happily put 6 x25L drums on a pallet at cost and ship it or a single 205L if
you prefer. Int + 44 + 1329 835762.

Failing that just use the truckies "Hydraulic 32", its even called simply
"Lic 32" here.

> We're going to check out that fork oil that Alan Wise posted about
> and see if that will do the job. Might be expensive but we won't have to
> buy a hundred or so extra gallons!

Unless you need to fill a Stalwart hydraulic tank. . . . . . . . .

> Humm.......maybe if I could fit a couple of Jerry cans into my
> luggage and take them to Beltring.......I wonder how that would show up in
> the x-ray machine when I come home?

Would you like me to bring some drums of ISO 15 ? The US baggage allowance
is very generous.

Richard
Southampton - England