Re: [MV] Ferret fluid and Catch 22

From: AlvisStalwart6x6@aol.com
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 16:28:31 PDT

Jim and British vehicle lovers

>Ed Berkery (Saladin/Abbott owner from PA.) and I have for over a year
>tried, and tried, and tried to obtain these fluids in the US.
> The mineral oil known as OM-13 has a small percentage of Steric Acid
>added to it. This is necessary for anti-foaming or flowability (depending
>on which company reps we are talking to). Ed has spent over $200.00 just
>in phone calls trying to obtain these oils.

I see, so all those hydraulic transmissions and torque converters on this
(US) side of the pond just run on foam then? Shell only makes hydraulic oil
with anti foam additives for the UK market? Oh come on Jim, just because one
uses a specific ingredient in it's additive package doesn't mean it is the
ONLY compatible fluid. As long as the lubricant is the proper viscosity, has
an additive package that is compatible with the intended use and MATERIALS, I
don't see the particular problem. Just because it doesn't have "steric acid"
doesn't mean it doesn't have an adequate anti foaming package or isn't
compatible with the seals.

>In fact, use of some of these fluids they stated would replace OM-13 would
have destroyed the >seals in short order. Now if the fluid one uses in a
Ferret for the coupling is not correct it won't >move off........With a
Saladin we could lose braking and control......

I curious just what kind of fluid you have been told to put in those things.
My Stalwart's hydraulic and other systems (call for OM-13) seem very happy
with Shell Tellus T 15 available here in SW Washington State. I spoke with a
very knowledgeable rep and we discussed seal compatibility problems and it
seems that the additive package in the above oil is compatible with the seals
used in conjunction with OM-13 spec..

Oh well, you guys can use the fork oil if you want but I'm gonna keep
purchasing mine cheaply by the 5 gallon pail . . . I'd get the 55 gallon drum
but hydraulic fluid is about the only fluid my Stalwart doesn't leak, yet.

BTW Richard, that was a generous offer on shipping oil but if you are going
to be shipping drums of something, at least make it something we can't easily
get here like several 1/2 barrels of Strongbow or perhaps some Murphy's!

Bruce