[MV] Ferret fluid and Catch 22

From: John Doherty (jdoherty@HiWAAY.net)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 17:17:12 PDT

I know nothing of Ferrets, but I do have a few years of industrial
maintenance experience related to hydraulics. And yes, specifics can be
very critical at times. But, don't take everything at face value.

You can find out a lot of info about the product specs from the
manufacturers MSDS sheets listed on their websites. Chevron has a very
comprehensive site on their products. (I don't represent them, I've just
used it before.) They have three grades of an ISO 15 lubricant, each having
MSDS sheets. If you can locate the chemical name of stearic acid, not the
common name, you can probably determine whether or not the products contain
it by that data in the MSDS.

Do a little more digging among the other manufacturers, and I'll bet you can
come up with the down and dirty of what you want. Then just ask more
specific questions of your oil company distributors. Most probably don't
know the actual chemical makeup of the products, and they are probably
looking for the common name, not the chemical name.

I've had a similar experience on imported industrial equipment and product
specs. Lots of confusion in the use of common versus chemical names.

Hope that didn't just add to the confusion. But, I'll bet the product is
already here in the states, in some odd-named form.

John Doherty