Re: [MV] Ferret fluid and Catch 22

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 23:33:31 PDT

Bruce wrote:

>.......I see, so all those hydraulic transmissions and torque converters
>on this
>(US) side of the pond just run on foam then? Shell only makes hydraulic oil
>with anti foam additives for the UK market? Oh come on Jim, just because one
>uses a specific ingredient in it's additive package doesn't mean it is the
>ONLY compatible fluid.

          I don't think I said we wanted a "compatible fluid". I referred
to a M.O.D. approved substitute for OM-13. I have the M.O.D. data sheets
on fluids for British military vehicles which list approved substitutes for
the military ones. They are rather specific as to what is a proper civilian
fluid to use in place of OM-13 and the Shell product is one of a very few
that will meet all the specs. This is why we went to Shell to obtain what
we wanted.

> As long as the lubricant is the proper viscosity, has
>an additive package that is compatible with the intended use and MATERIALS, I
>don't see the particular problem. Just because it doesn't have "steric acid"
>doesn't mean it doesn't have an adequate anti foaming package or isn't
>compatible with the seals.

    The viscosity is but one part of the total makeup of the fluid. Be
assured, some fluids that have the same viscosity WILL damage the
seals. None of the wheel stations on my Saladin leak and I am committed to
keeping them that way. Remember, the Stearic acid is there for a reason
(anti-rust says Richard, and I will defer to his knowledge) , any fluid
that would be a direct replacement will have it in it's composition or it's
not a direct replacement. 30 wt. oil and 30wt detergent oil are both 30
wt oil but they are not interchangeable in some applications. A similar
example would be automatic transmission fluid. ATF comes in many brands and
types and all are ATF. However, use the wrong one in your transmission and
while it may work for a while, you will be spending $$$ to make it work
right later. I'd rather not have those problems later on in my favorite
vehicle.

> >In fact, use of some of these fluids they stated would replace OM-13 would
>have destroyed the >seals in short order. Now if the fluid one uses in a
>Ferret for the coupling is not correct it won't >move off........With a
>Saladin we could lose braking and control......
>
>I curious just what kind of fluid you have been told to put in those things.

     I will have Ed give us the info on some of the things we have been
told will work.....by people who profess knowledge in these areas.

>My Stalwart's hydraulic and other systems (call for OM-13) seem very happy
>with Shell Tellus T 15 available here in SW Washington State.

       It's your vehicle and you can, of course, use anything you want.

>I spoke with a
>very knowledgeable rep and we discussed seal compatibility problems and it
>seems that the additive package in the above oil is compatible with the seals
>used in conjunction with OM-13 spec..

          What composition are the seals in your Stalwart? We have been
told that there are updated seal kits for these vehicles that allow the use
of fluids that have a different base than OM-13. I would like very much
to discuss this with the rep. you spoke with if you would be so kind as to
give us his phone number.

>Oh well, you guys can use the fork oil if you want but I'm gonna keep
>purchasing mine cheaply by the 5 gallon pail . . . I'd get the 55 gallon drum
>but hydraulic fluid is about the only fluid my Stalwart doesn't leak, yet.

       Ah yes, that's the key word.....Yet. I would rather use a fluid
that I had complete confidence in than something that is used because it's
available and/or cheap. Kind of like, pay more now so you don't pay even
more later. I learned this lesson early on with the brake system in my
first car (MG) when I used cheap brake fluid instead of the proper Girling one.

>BTW Richard, that was a generous offer on shipping oil but if you are going
>to be shipping drums of something, at least make it something we can't easily
>get here like several 1/2 barrels of Strongbow or perhaps some Murphy's!

       Around here Murphy's is quite easy to find.........if only OM-13 were!

  Jim Gilmore