Re: [MV] Ferret fluid and Catch 22

From: Andrew Jeffery (andrewjeffery@zetnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 14:14:08 PDT

Hi you lot, not posted hear before even though I've read the group for
somewhere around a year,,,may be more, I don't know.

Regarding Oils for Ferret/Saladin/Sarracen. The following is what I've used
 since I got my Ferret on the 25 March 1994. Sarracen 12 November 1994
and Saladin 17 January 1996.

For hydrolics in Saladin/Sarracen - Renolin CL15

Transfer box, bevel boxes, hub reduction boxes - BOA 85W-90
                                                 Hypoid Gear Oil.

Engine, Gearbox, aie filters - Ashford 15W/40 engine oil

Flywheel - todate, not had to fill/top one up so will cross that
bridge when I get to it.

Ferret brakes - DOT 4 brake fluid.

With the exciption of the DOT 4, all the above is supplyed by
Fuch Lubricants (formaly Silkoline), Belper, Derby. (thats cos I live
not far away) As fuch is American I assume that you should be able to
get the same oils in the USA without problems.

The only problem I've had todate was contaminated bevel box oil in
the Sarracen trasfere box (See "Doug's Heavy Metal Gallery" for more info).
Otherwise alls been fine, or maybe I'm just lucky!
Just my 2penny worth,

Andy,
Gimmi all your chocolate, then nobody will get hurt!
www.SuicidalTendencies.co.uk (Robot Site)
http://fast.to/dg Go to area 1:11,
Andrew's Adventures - Saracen and Saladin.
ICQ Number 41577750

Alan wrote:
>Jim, you have a short memory; as per lots of research, including direct
>communications with Fuchs/Silkolene, I was informed Silkolene motorcycle fork
>oil 2.5wt. is identical. Available at most motorcycle shops in the US. It is
>not cheep, but its the real deal...

     Short memory? Why not at all !! I included in the posting:

     "......We're going to check out that fork oil that Alan Wise posted about
and see if that will do the job....."

     In fact, I put it in my "Ferret" file. You posted:

".........OMD-13 hydraulic fluid (Fluid Coupling)= Silkolene 779
hyrdraulic oil=
Silkol