Ferret fluids, etc.

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 08:28:32 PDT

The response and assistance from everyone on this thread was great. Where
else could you get this kind of in-depth help? Absolutely fantastic.

FYI: Locally "Shell Tellus" is sold under the brand name Golden Gate and I
can get ISO 22, but not the ISO 15. Very cheap too, compared to motorcycle
fork oil. I have to leave my own container/can and the dealer will have it
filled by the truck when it comes around, about once a week. I would be
happy to obtain some and send it out to those in need in the US. Cost, plus
shipping.

Curious about one more thing on the coupler... I was told the fluid would be
red, however when I checked my coupler it appears clear. Is it sometimes
red???

I have a source for mil spec H537 fluid that sells for $3.00-$3.98 a gallon
depending on the quantify. Not sure what H537 converts too, but it is the
red hyd. fluid. If you are in need, let me know and I can arrange shipment
of this too.

The oil in the transfer box and the gear change box seem a little dirty,
brownish, streaked in darker brown/black, should this be a sign to drain and
replace? It's been 1 year since I've owned it with about 100 miles on it.
Wondering how often such non-engine oils ought to be replaced given the
mileage?

I recall the thread on engine oils aging and oxidation, but would this be
true of gear oils (30 wt engine oil) that are not exposed to the same
temperatures as engine oils? Also is it advisable to use a flush (cleaner)
when changing these specific oils?

Thanks again.... keep em rollin

Jack Lee