Front end woes...

From: Eric A Weidner (ericweidner@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 16:40:22 PDT

I have a front end question. I took "my baby" out to the corner gas
station to get some fuel and put air in the tires today...I had noticed
that it seemed to steer kind of hard so I checked the air pressure-
10#LF, 30#RF, 25#RR, 20#LR. I put 40# psi in all as per TM. On the way
home I noticed a slight shimmy(approx.35-40 mph). When I started to
brake for the turn into my drive it started to shimmy so bad I thought I
would lose control of the vehicle. It was probably about 15-25
mph....then it smoothed out. Also I've noticed that there are times that
when you steer hard(can't remember if it's right or left) that I feel
resistance in the steering wheel to the wheels coming back to the
straight ahead position. For instance- you steer to the right, as you go
to straighten out you feel resistance in the steering wheel then you
"feel" (more than actually hear) a clunk and then it goes back to
straight. Tie rod ends? Drag link/ends? Steering box itself? Tires?
I know I've got some brake work to do(3 leaking wheel cylinders), could
this be part of it?
Anyway, any help or referral is appreciated- feel free to forward this
e-mail to anyone you feel might be of help.
Many, many thanks...
Eric
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.