Silicone brake fluid

From: Garret Sawtell (sawtellg@dteenergy.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 07:02:13 PDT

  <SNIP>
  had a person that is shop forman in big auto shop tell me that his
exp. in
  shop was that silicone brake fluid was just as bad if not worse that
the old
  stuff. He showed me a sample that came out of brake system that was
silicon
  and you could see the water drops in it. He contends that these are
just as
  bad as far as rusting system as the old fluid is.

  any one have any exp with this
  <SNIP>

Normal brake fluid is hygroscopic, that is, it absorbs moisture.
Silicone does not. It will displace moisture. That is why there
were water droplets in the fluid, most likely as a result of moisture
already in the system before the silicone was added. If
silicone is to be used as a replacement fluid in a system previously
containing standard brake fluid, a thorough flushing is
imperative to remove any traces of moisture in the system. Otherwise,
you'd just be putting a Band-Aid on an axe wound.

Garret Sawtell
'42 MB