Re: [MV] WWII bumper markings

From: The Jeep Dogs (jeepdogs@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 07:21:59 PDT

The 133 Engineers might at one time have been attached to the 101st, but the
organic engineer unit was the 326th Airborne Engineer Battalion. The guys
you always see before D-Day with the mohawks and war paint were members of
the 326th. FYI, the 307th Eng were assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division.
Was the 133 Eng an Aviation Engineer Unit.

If the 133 was attached, they wouldn't have likely ever had 101st A/B
division markings on their vehicles. They would have retained their parent
organization markings. As a regiement, they would have likely been an Army
asset, or possibly as low as a Corps Asset.

Unfortunatley, being in the middle of a move, I don't have any of my
references available to look it up.

I haven't done much research on 101st vehicles, but I know 82nd A/B unit
markings didn't include a star in the bumper number, but did have one in the
center. Typically, the 82nd markings looked like this:

82 A/B 376F * B-7

with the * representing the US Star in the center of the bumper. Some were
a plain star and others were the invasion star with broken circle around it.

The front markings are in 3 inch letters where the rear are in 2 inch
letters to fit on the limited space. From all the pictures I've found, this
is the style in which most airborne jeeps were marked.

This is how I have my GPW marked for the 376th Parachute Field Artillery
Battalion. Have seen the same manner for markings in both Infantry
Regiments (Service companies for both Glider and Parachute) as well as
Glider Field Artillery units.

Here is a link to a picture where you can see the markings on the rear of my
GPW. http://www.sirinet.net/~jimrice/sign.jpg

I hope this helps. If you have any information on the 133Eng association
with the 101st, I would really like to read it. With all the attachments
and cross assignments, who knows what every unit did.

Sincerely,

Jim Rice