5 gallon Gas & Water cans - Tell me what you know (please)

From: Greg Marks (youdog@brevard.net)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 19:05:29 PDT

Greetings all,

I noticed a post recently where someone was looking for ways to identify the
era that gas cans came from. I have 3 "5 gallon" gas cans and two "5
gallon" water cans.

As I didn't notice any replies, I'll repost the question (hoping that I
didn't miss 20 previous replies):

?) Is there a difference in the WWII, Korean and Viet Nam era cans?
?) If so, how can you tell them a part?

5 gallon Water cans:
One of the water cans has what appears to be a white enamel finish and is in
good condition. I have a second steel water can that isn't lined and has
some surface rust.
?) Is there a way to clean / seal the steel can that wont affect the water
quality?
?) Is there a gasket in the lid or is this supposed to be "metal on metal"?

5 gallon Gas cans:
I have three and externally all are in good shape. The insides have varying
degrees of surface rust. I bought a gas tank cleaner / sealer kit and
intend to seal them.
?) Anybody have any advice on doing this? I had the gas tank done in my
M38A1 and nearly didn't survive the ride home due to the fumes.
?) Any idea where I can get the rubber gasket for the lid?

Thanks in advance

Greg

'53 M38A1