Re: [MV] 5 gallon Gas & Water cans - Tell me what you know (please)

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 09:19:11 PDT

Greg,
    Hope I can help, however, I'm sure that when everyone gets back from Aberdeen
I will be corrected.

> ?) Is there a difference in the WWII, Korean and Viet Nam era cans?
> ?) If so, how can you tell them a part?

As far as I know, the construction is the same. You can tell the date of
manufacture on the bottom. There will be a 5 a 20 and another 2 digit number.
The five is 5 gallons, 20 litres (I think), and the last number is the date. Most
that I've seen have been 1950's vintage. I do have a USMC can from 43 (I think
it's 43, it's definitely WW2 dated) and a gas can from 44.

> 5 gallon Water cans:
> One of the water cans has what appears to be a white enamel finish and is in
> good condition. I have a second steel water can that isn't lined and has
> some surface rust.
> ?) Is there a way to clean / seal the steel can that wont affect the water
> quality?
> ?) Is there a gasket in the lid or is this supposed to be "metal on metal"?

Sorry can't help on that one. BTW if anyone has a 5 gallon water can in good
useable shape for drinking water, I would be interested in discussing a trade for
my WW2 dated USMC gas can. I've been told by some that it means US Marine Corps,
others have said no way. I don't really care because I'm looking for a "generic"
or common restoration and it's definitely not a common issue piece. I've got
photos of the USMC can I can scan for interested parties.

> 5 gallon Gas cans:
> I have three and externally all are in good shape. The insides have varying
> degrees of surface rust. I bought a gas tank cleaner / sealer kit and
> intend to seal them.
> ?) Anybody have any advice on doing this? I had the gas tank done in my
> M38A1 and nearly didn't survive the ride home due to the fumes.

My only experience is, I took my gas cans to a radiator shop and had them boil it
out overnight. Then I took it home & used "Slosh & Seal" on the tank. Then I let
it air dry for a while. No problems yet.

> ?) Any idea where I can get the rubber gasket for the lid?

Military Marketplace in Bainbridge Ga. http://www.militarymarketplace.com Their
number is 912-243-0430 and they're printing a new catalog which is soon to be back
from the printers. I bought some original 1944 dated gaskets from them that are
still pliable. They were $1.50 each.

Good luck,
Brian Mead
1944 MB