Re: [MV] Fw: Test Message / Saracen Questions ?

From: Rob Dabkowski (robdab@better.net)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 22:35:35 PDT

Richard, Thanks for taking the time for a detailed reply (I think ?) Based
my questions on a 10 minute examination of a Saracen seen loaded on a lorry
that was passing through town two weeks ago. Didn't look look like that big
a problem and I was planning to ship two drums of OM-13 anyway. Just
thought that I'd consult the "experts of the List" before getting into
trouble. Glad that I did. Received an education on the technical details of
a future part of my fleet. Maybe I should actually read those maintenance
manuals instead of just looking at all the pretty pictures ? Robert "BM"
Dabkowski (Toronto) ... P.S. Why is it that the UK seems to design
everything military to be more complicated than it needs to be ? Canada
managed to produce several models of CMP armoured cars during WWII that
just used simple basic truck technology and were field repairable. Other
than giving overhead splinter cover is a Saracen that much better at
carrying troops than a C15TA was ?

> At first sight I was going to ask if you were totally and entirely
barking
> mad, but that would be rude.
   Yes, It would be.
> I'd ship it from the CI using Commodore Express and simply drive it on
and
> off, they are the virtual monopoly shippers between CI and Portsmouth,
their
> ships are RO-RO and usually take non road going, shipment only semi
trailers
> with containers (conex). In an emergency I went over and back this way
> rather than the passenger/car ferry from Poole, they just had me drive
into
> a space between the semi trailers.
   Have spoken with them but they are concerned about the strength of their
ramps with respect to the Saracen's concentrated weight. They are to get
back to me. >Shove all the
goodies in the Saracen, it is only a huge steel box in itself.
   True but vehicle is currently missing driver"s hatch which is apparently
larger than a standard Saracen front hatch and difficult to find. Will have
to weld shut other openings also.
> I have no idea. Most vehicles go RO-RO from Felixtowe or Southampton.
   I have not yet been able to find a RO-RO service Southampton to Toronto
so a large trucking bill Montreal to Toronto will also arise if this option
is used. Perhaps shipping on a "Lancaster Flat" on a regular container ship
is the best compromise ?