Re: [MV] Fw: Test Message / Saracen Questions ?

From: Mike (tankcity@globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 04:16:40 PDT

Hi Rob. We have already corresponded off-list about this but since it's now
up for open discussion, I have the following comments.
1. I agree with everybody who tells you not to try to cram your Saracen
into a standard 40ft container. Even if you do all the huge job of taking
off wheel stations and wings, you are very unlikely to push it into the
container on a dolly even if you can find one strong enough. Experience in
pushing M8s into containers with the hubs and wings off teaches me that once
you get any bit of it caught on the side of the container, it will jam, pull
sideways and end up inextricably blocked inside.
2. You might do it by dropping it inside an open topper with a crane.
3. Better to put in on a flat rack.
4. Our yard is 35 miles from Beltring. We have a crane, three fork lifts
and a ramp. We are sending three containers to various parts of the States
over the next three weeks. We are taking empty cage pallets to Beltring
which will be allocated to various individual customers and can be
consolidated into containers from here.
5. Without a doubt, if you're shipping a Saracen or military parts from
the UK, you need a British Export Licence. I don't know whether you can
bring your Saracen in from the Channel Islands as a temporary import for
Licence purposes. In any case Customs these days require a fully itemised
list by quantity and by price of *every* item in the container. Shipping
parts not on the list or without an Export Licence can result at the very
least in a fine and temporary confiscation pending correct paperwork or, at
worst, fine and permanent confiscation. Nigel Hay had a REO engine sit on
the dock for three months for just this reason and there are many other
horror stories.
6. Shipping inflammables such as paint or your OM13 oil is also very
restricted so make sure you have it in innoccous cans buried well out of
sight or another lot of problems will emerge.
7. I don't think its necessary to weld up hatches if you have everything
inside well packed and crated. If you ship it Ro Ro you have to leave it
open anyway but they don't like goods in the back.
Best Regards. Mike Stallwood.