Re: [MV] M151A2 ALL LIGHTS OUT.

From: T. Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 07:24:42 PDT

Were you in a combat zone. That may have been a good thing.

(Just kidding....)

>It's with my lights, when I run my lights on low beam every think works fine
>but when I switch to high beam every thing goes out!! (ALL LIGHTS!) so
then I
>switch it back to low beam, wait a few seconds then there's a click noise
and
>every thing come back on. HELP????????????????

I know that feeling.
My 715 did that last year. There is a 20 Amp self reseting circuit breaker
inside the 3 lever light switch assembly.
The breaker probably has just enough wear or oxidation, after all these years
where it will trip at a much lower current point.

1 Disassemble and clean the switch and breaker....if you can and want to do
that.
(Not easy to do.)

2 Replace it.

3 For the hell of it, check the current draw....to be sure you do not have
a short some where,
cable abbrasion and the like.

I think the stock Hi beams draw about 5-6 amps....it isn't really high, but
thats at 24 volts.
Add an amp or 2 for all the other lamps that happen to come on on that
position.

What did I do? I tried two other switches that I bought, used. Both did the
same , blinking, and
one had an intermitant...had to wiggle the switches to get the lamps to
stay on.

SOOOOO, I took one apart, cleaned and lubed the switches (LOTS OF SMALL
PARTS),
removed and bypassed the circuit breaker, then..............placed a good,
water-proof, inline
fuse holder in series with the power feed going to the connector that plugs
into the rear of the thing . Place the holder somewhere where you can
easily get at it.

I either have to be a BIG NUT, or just like this stuff....go figure.

Ted.