Re: [MV] Troop Seats

From: Eric Kozowski (eric@svjava.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 10:05:39 PDT

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 09:48:28AM -0700, Verne J. Valentine wrote:
> I am going to replace all the wood on my M35A2 this summer and have been
> looking for replacement parts but nothing so far. I think I might buy oak
> 1" X 4" and cut it down to size. That cost will probably make me faint.

if you're trying to get 1x3, i would recommend ripping some 1x6, instead
of 1x4. less waste that way.

> The other consideration I am working on is the paint? I am thinking that
> I will use some kind of marine finish that is extremely durable and
> weather resilient (Seattle rain!!!) and have it mixed to the correct
> share of OD? What do you think of that idea?

that should work. however marine paint is _expensive_. a quart of
interlux brightside polyurethane is $21 (for white). then you'll have to
find a compatible tinting agent(s) and flattener. and don't forget the
primer ($20/quart).

instead, i would recommend that you paint the wood with west system epoxy
then use the standard mil-veh paints. if you put the epoxy on correctly,
i would guarantee that the wood won't rot. a one gallon kit, including
dispensing pumps, etc. will set you back about $100.

--
Eric Kozowski
Portland, OR