Vets 2000 event - THX

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 10:08:12 PDT

5/26/00 Chico, CA (90 miles North of Sacramento)

For those of you who were able to attend the Veterans 2000 Expo in Chico
yesterday, thank you very, very much!

I was just a helper trying to bird dog some mil-vehs for the event, however,
the real organizers appreciated MVCC/MVPA participation and they wanted me to
pass along their thanks, especially if they missed saying so to you
personally.

New this year: Children from the Emma Wilson Elementary School made a field
trip of it. The kids seemed to have a great time too... actually no question
about it, they were thrilled.

We had some extra DPMs (BDU's) at our display, so with the teachers
permission, the kids put on smocks and berets and had their pictures taken
with our armour and troop carrier, some adults saw did it too! It was pretty
wild, lot of laughs and some serious posing going on! In addition to
entertaining the little kids (ages 6-9), I was able to explain to the
teachers "why" we restore these old tubs. I gave my one minute speech about
history and remembrance.... they seemed genuinely interested, understanding
and even appreciative. Two teachers actually thanked me! Hey, this is
pretty remarkable in itself since we live in a college town, not known for
their love of the military.

I am going to meet with the Veterans Affairs Officers soon and see if we
can't make military vehicles a regular theme for the event. Of course this
would be in addition to the fantastic WWII POW display which has been the
main attraction.

The two presentations at one site not only added to the public appeal which
helped the attendance, but it reached new people (like the school kids). I
am sure
it helped increase awareness for vet issues and it was good for the MVPA
image.

Coming up - Sept./00: Working on obtaining a military vehicle category
within the well known Chico Concours d' Elegance. It looks like a go and
I've already got some commitments from a few mil-veh'ers.

More info to follow, dates, times and people to contact.

Jack Lee
Ferret Mk 2/3
SUMB