Troop seats and lockouts

From: Tanya Fribley (tfribley@anderson.cioe.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 06:17:08 PDT

Courgarjack is right on about wood characteristics. I don't claim to
know 1/10 of what he does (never met or heard of him before today) but
have worked with a lot of wood and ALSO ridden in the back of my
brothers M37 with ceder troop seats. I sold my M37 last month, but it
had seats and sides which were well over 25 years old and had not had
any care and sat outside the whole time here in Indiana. I belive they
were oak with nothing but OD paint. I'm not saying that the high tech
chemicals aren't a good idea, but my brothers slats are new, brittle,
broken already, and very splintery. Mine were seasoned, mellow, and
comfortable.
On the subject of lockouts, original or not, they have one very good
use. Ever been in a slow moving parade and wished you could go to low
range without engaging the 4WD? Lockouts will let you do that.
Does anyone know if there is a simple way to modify an M37 and an M38A1
that allows low range in 2WD? I looked at my M37 and it appeared as
though just taking the 4WD rod off would not do the job. I want to keep
4WD available, but just want to slow the thing down for slow parades on
asphalt. I haven't fixed my M38A1 rearend yet and don't have a rear
driveshaft either, so it will pull off the front in low range for the
Memorial Day parade.
Hope a lot of you are able to run your MV's through a parade on Monday.
Thanks to all who have served their country.
Have a safe holiday!
Bill Fribley
Chassis Ridge